Laurie Toby Edison

Photographer

with FeedBurner

Laurie Toby Edison by Carol Squires

Blog Stats

There are currently 1,255 posts and 3,874 comments, contained within categories.

Ever Had One of Those Days?

Debbie says:

Liz put this oh-so-satisfying link into our comments this week, and I can’t resist sharing it with you all.

The [skinny] woman is now weighing the pros and cons of having skim milk versus two percent milk in her latte, and she says, “God, I don’t know, I just feel so, like, fat today. I feel like such a big fat cow.”

Then she turns to me, and she says, GET THIS, “How do you stand it every day?”

I blink.

Several heads in the cafe pop up because nobody can believe this woman actually said this to a total stranger. I feel as if the sitcom camera is pulling in tight for a closeup on my reaction.

But the gods of snark are smiling upon me today. I reply, straightfaced, “You know, it’s normally not too bad, but today I’m having one of those days where I feel like a shallow dumb bitch. How do you stand it every day?”

There’s more, including the punchline from the barista. Read it all.

Nothing like a snappy comeback to improve one’s mood …

7 Responses to “Ever Had One of Those Days?”

1. badgermama says:

ha! That was GREAT!

I have had moments and retorts like that & it’s very satisfying. “You look too healthy to be in a wheelchair!” “That’s funny, you look too normal to be such a rude asshole!”

2. DawnD says:

“adorable pierced-and-tattooed boy en flambe”

*Giggle-snort* Not only is the writer the Queen of Everything for the Best Retort EVAR, she also is just generally made of win as a writer. I am in awe. Thanks for re-posting this.

3. That is the best story ever. Thank you so much for sharing!

4. Debbie says:

badger, how about “You look so normal I’m not surprised you’re a rude asshole!” *grin*

Dawn, I really wanted to quote that description, but I ended up just hoping people would click the link.

Vito, you are welcome.

5. janet says:

That’s awesome.

My best retort ever:

Junior high. There’s a group of boys who tease me every day, calling me “Fido” and barking at me. In math class one day:

Boy whose name I have forgotten: “I hope you don’t bite me, Fido, I might get rabies.”

Me: “I wouldn’t bite you, I might get trichinosis.”

Alas, he didn’t know what I meant, so the retort was completely wasted. Sigh.

6. stefanie says: